Sunday, June 14, 2009

Good Hand Results and Cancer Survivor Celebration




I'm happy to report that my hands are sooooo much better. The B12 injections and gabapentin medication seem to be doing the trick. I still have super-sensitivity--I suppose what doctors would call neuropathy, but it's much better than it was. I have more hand strength, less pain, and my writing is almost back to normal. It's wonderful!
I'm also happy to report that Mike, Carrie, Keith, and I attended, on June 7, Dr. Armando Sardi's Cancer Survivor Celebration. It was held at the Inner Harbor. We had a bird's eye view of the harbor and a delightful luncheon. The event was emotional for all of us. We got to meet several other survivors--at our table, one coming all the way from Chicago, one from good 'ole Taneytown, MD, and one from Harford County (his wife had just had the surgery that Tuesday and he came solo!).
The Chicago survivor holds the record for longest HIPEC surgery (18 1/2 hours). It made me feel like 9 1/2 hours was nothing! Sharing stories and experiences was interesting and draining. For some reason it makes you feel better to know that others have been through the same thing. At the end of the event though, I was ready to go home.
There was one 15-year survivor and several who are beyond five years. Dr. Sardi,in his usual upbeat fashion, made everyone feel comfortable and healthy. Somehow he manages to impart optimism wherever he goes. He spoke about on-going research. There are changes and adjustments to the surgery on an on-going basis. The newest trend is to do a biopsy of the tumor and determine which type of chemo is most effective. Current procedure is to use mytomycin c, which apparently doesn't work on all tumors.

I am going to post a picture taken by Carrie of the survivor group that attended. There was a lot going on and everyone looks confused.... including me!
On another topic, I made it through the rest of the school year. When I went back to work in February I was NOT ready! At least I didn't think I was. Other than being very tired (I do get tired easily) everything went well. We finished up on June 4. It went by really quickly and I'm actually missing it!

Since school's been out Mike and I have been trying to get our exercise in. We've walked almost every morning and I'm increasing my speed and distance. I am actually doing better on hills than I have in years... so that makes me wonder if my breathlessness from years ago could have been related to this.

So, all good. I hope it stays that way.
Here's to a wonderful summer--whether you have to work or can enjoy a little vacation!

No comments: